You can follow the below things in order to gain a good amount of muscle:
- You need to increase your caloric intakes by about 500 to 1000 Calories per day. Extra 500 Calories/day will help you gain up to one pound in one week.
- Eat your three main meal (breakfast, lunch Dinner) spaced about 5 hours apart. In addition eat two to three snacks a day in between meals.
- Snacks should be of high calorie such as milk shakes, yogurt, high carbohydrate food- banana.
- Eat more complex carbohydrates like whole-grain breads, pasta and Brown Rice etc.
- Never skip your breakfast. Include one eggs and fruit juice to your breakfast.
- Eat bigger than normal portions for your regular meals.
- Eat food with higher calories, Moderate fats, Higher Protein, Higher Fiber, Higher nutrition.
- Choose high-quality protein sources such as eggs, meat, fish, milk, seeds, protein supplements etc.
- Since most of the calories for weight gain come from carbohydrates and fats, do not replace them with protein.
- Eat starchy vegetables (Potatoes, Peas, Cauliflower, Pumpkin, Sweet potatoes).
- Consume nuts, calorie dense ripe fruits like Banana, dried fruits like dates as snack between meals.
- Eat the right kinds of fats. Avoid Trans-fats. Add healthy unsaturated fats in moderation such as olive and canola oil, nuts, seeds, peanut butter, avocados to your diet.
- Do not drink water before meals. After meals, wait about 10 minutes before drinking water.
- Beverages can help you gain a weight too. If it is possible, drink shakes, milk, juice, etc. instead of tea, coffee and diet sodas.
- Do 30 minutes of resistance training. Weight training helps to convert the extra calories into muscle, hence add some extra pounds to your body.
- Aim to lift a heavy enough weight that you’re fatiguing within the 8-12 rep range, completing a total of 2-4 sets for each exercise.
- Do NOT engage in aerobic exercises (Running Stationary Bicycling). Aerobic exercise help you lose body fat (weight loss). You may lose more weight than gain weight.
In a nutshell, you must increase your intake of good calories and encourage the right kind of cellular growth through weight training .
Hope this helps.